with Celebrity Chef Andre’ Carthen...
I can’t stress this enough, START EARLY. There are many things that can be done days, even weeks in advance. Here are a few tips to help you plan for your special engagement…more
Entertaining is all about making guest feel at home in your home!
- Prepare invites and menu
- Have a good idea how many people are coming and what you are serving. A last minute change of one or two people won’t cause chaos if you’re well prepared.
- Extra seating, tables, specialty foods, kosher meal, and desserts, the earlier the better!
- Calendar a reminder to call and confirm your order.
- Call to confirm your earlier orders
- Select music; if you have the ability make a CD or select songs from your iPod to play for several hours.
- Confirm guest; we all know those people that wait ‘til the last minute to RSVP.
- Decide on center piece and home decor.
- If you like to bake, start your ovens. 3 days to a week in advance is a good time for breads and pies. If it’s a week, freeze until the night before. Three days or less refrigerate until the big day.
- If you are planning on using a frozen turkey, please read the thawing directions. Most directions say to allow approximately 24 hours per 5 pounds of turkey. Which means; when thawing your turkey in the refrigerator:
- 8 to 12 lbs / 1-2 days
- 12 to 16 lbs / 2-3 days
- 16 to 20 lbs / 3-4 days
- Chop veggies for crudite and recipes. Celery, carrots, onions…have them all pre-chopped and in baggies ready to go.
- Make sure you have all the ingredients you need to prepare your holiday meal.
- Check to make sure you have all the utensils, containers, and equipment you will need, including a roasting pan large enough to hold your turkey and a meat thermometer.
- Make sure your oven is in proper working condition.
- Chill drinks; if you are expecting a large number of guest, it helps to have a back-up cooling system. Second refrigerator and / or coolers filled with ice.
When it comes to Table setting and home decor
Last but not least; Party checklist:
-Coffee maker/filters and -cups
The trash and recycling bins! Lastly, have plenty of warm, comfy seating and a variety of great music; not that you will be able to hear it over the accolades for your fabulous food!